Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
New BMW 400 scooter an alternative? I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Today at 10:55 pm

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
New BMW 400 scooter an alternative? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
New BMW 400 scooter an alternative? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
New BMW 400 scooter an alternative? I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
New BMW 400 scooter an alternative? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
New BMW 400 scooter an alternative? I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
New BMW 400 scooter an alternative? I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
New BMW 400 scooter an alternative? I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
New BMW 400 scooter an alternative? I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:16 pm

» Greetings From 'Phoenix'
New BMW 400 scooter an alternative? I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:07 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

New BMW 400 scooter an alternative?

Go down 
+2
Bash On!
gremlin
6 posters
AuthorMessage
gremlin
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
gremlin

Number of posts : 227
Registration date : 2015-04-09

New BMW 400 scooter an alternative? Empty
PostSubject: New BMW 400 scooter an alternative?   New BMW 400 scooter an alternative? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 08, 2017 3:07 pm

Had a look at the new BMW C400X scooter on the internet:  
https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/news-and-views/news/2017/november/bmw_c400x_2018
Is it an alternative to the vanishing Silverwing?

My comments:   Ugly styling, is it supposed to be a Transformer?  Why call it a 400, when it only is a 350?  What use would that windscreen be? It is a direct competitor to the Piaggio Beverly 350, but heavier, less "step through" and certainly not as elegant.
New BMW 400 scooter an alternative? <a href=New BMW 400 scooter an alternative? Bmw_c410" />New BMW 400 scooter an alternative? <a href=New BMW 400 scooter an alternative? Beverl10" />
Back to top Go down
Bash On!
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2015-08-24

PostSubject: Re: New BMW 400 scooter an alternative?   New BMW 400 scooter an alternative? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 08, 2017 3:26 pm

Guess that's the style nowadays. Speaking of BMWs, I don't like the look of any of them--except maybe the café retro one. I'll be keeping my /5, thank you.
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

PostSubject: Re: New BMW 400 scooter an alternative?   New BMW 400 scooter an alternative? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 09, 2017 1:56 pm

Looks like something Baby terminator might ride.
Back to top Go down
cliffyk
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
cliffyk

Number of posts : 182
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: New BMW 400 scooter an alternative?   New BMW 400 scooter an alternative? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 10, 2017 9:42 am

Nearly all contemporary vehicles have that same ridiculously menacing "aggressive" battle-tank look.

Automobiles in particular have become so similar that it is often difficult to tell them apart; tasteful elegance has been replaced by a baroque flamboyance.

In its extreme this trend has created vehicles with nearly maniacal/deranged countenances (think Lexus):
New BMW 400 scooter an alternative? USC60LES122B021001

Surely there is somewhere a room full of design engineers laughing their asses off over the general public being so tasteless that are eating this stuff up...
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4174
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: New BMW 400 scooter an alternative?   New BMW 400 scooter an alternative? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 10, 2017 10:02 am

I think it's a bit too early to be slagging off the BMW C400X. Yes the styling is a bit different and the OE screen looks pretty useless, but if BMW are going to marketing their new scooter as a commuter for the mean streets of India and the Far East then it's ideal. (Any way I've read posts on here about members wanting to ride with their Airflow top screen removed in hot weather, so it's all down to personal preference) That low screen is no different than sitting behind the screen of any of BMW's GS series of bikes or that Honda X-ADV 'adventure scooter'. Or you simply bin it like any other useless OE maxi screen and buy whatever Givi, Wunderlich, Ermax or any other of the European screen makers develop for it.

Have a look at a few YouTube clips of the C400 and it's got decent lights, all the latest electronic multi-media connectivity stuff, keyless ignition, traction control, and an anti-theft system. It also has that underseat drop down Kevlar luggage bag, there's protection bars available for it and any of the C650 top boxes readily fit it. Plus there'll be the usual range of BMW accessories, clothing, and lifestyle gear to personalise your BMW experience.

As long as it's not mega expensive and doesn't suffer from the bad reviews and issues of it being a tarted up Kymco like the early C Series scooters, and the dealer servicing costs aren't prohibitively expensive like the are for current C650 GT owners.

I'd downsize to a 400, there's a long established BMW Motorrad dealership is just a few minutes ride from my home, and a couple more dealerships not too far away in neighbouring West Yorkshire.

Last edited by Meldrew on Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2017-09-07

PostSubject: Re: New BMW 400 scooter an alternative?   New BMW 400 scooter an alternative? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 10, 2017 10:21 am

gremlin wrote:
Had a look at the new BMW C400X scooter on the internet:  
https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/news-and-views/news/2017/november/bmw_c400x_2018
Is it an alternative to the vanishing Silverwing?

My comments:   Ugly styling, is it supposed to be a Transformer?  Why call it a 400, when it only is a 350?  What use would that windscreen be? It is a direct competitor to the Piaggio Beverly 350, but heavier, less "step through" and certainly not as elegant.
New BMW 400 scooter an alternative? <a href=New BMW 400 scooter an alternative? Bmw_c410" />New BMW 400 scooter an alternative? <a href=New BMW 400 scooter an alternative? Beverl10" />

Not sure I am convinced enough for it to tempt me. Only one outstanding advantage over the Swing are the slightly larger wheels.

I wonder if Kymco is supplying the engine.
Back to top Go down
cliffyk
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
cliffyk

Number of posts : 182
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: New BMW 400 scooter an alternative?   New BMW 400 scooter an alternative? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 10, 2017 12:44 pm

Here in the "colonies", in the more open spaces on rural roads and Interstate highways, 350 cc just doesn't cut it. My ride "into town" from our house includes 10 miles on a rural section of US route 1, at 70 to 80 mph--just to keep up with traffic...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New BMW 400 scooter an alternative?   New BMW 400 scooter an alternative? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New BMW 400 scooter an alternative?
Page 1 of 1