Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
How to mount Bestem top case? I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 1:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
How to mount Bestem top case? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 1:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
How to mount Bestem top case? I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
How to mount Bestem top case? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:19 am

» What were they thinking?
How to mount Bestem top case? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:57 am

» Hello everyone
How to mount Bestem top case? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
How to mount Bestem top case? I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
How to mount Bestem top case? I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
How to mount Bestem top case? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:41 am

» Low charging
How to mount Bestem top case? I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:49 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

How to mount Bestem top case?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Smaug
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Smaug

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2012-07-30

How to mount Bestem top case? Empty
PostSubject: How to mount Bestem top case?   How to mount Bestem top case? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 18, 2017 4:54 pm

I got the hardware that's shown in the attached picture. Brackets, bolts, rubber bumpers, routing ties. I can guess how to mount it myself, but I would rather tap into the experience of you guys.

I guess the brackets get bolted to the stock rack. But how? Which side up? Then where did it for rubber bumpers go? Which way do the bolts go through the rack? Do I have to cut off the ends of the bolts somehow?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited by Smaug on Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: How to mount Bestem top case?   How to mount Bestem top case? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 18, 2017 7:16 pm

Jeremy,

If you open this link and go to Step 6 you will see the 2 holes to drill for the passenger pad.  But for the rack you need to drill the 4 holes for the Besteem rack to be secured.  So just look at Step 6 and look for the other 2 holes that need to be drilled.  They are exactly like the 2 holes that have the red circle around them but they are below the red circles in the picture.  Hope this helps.

You may went to put some rubber spacers inbetween the honda stock rack (what is in the picture) and the Besteem rack.  This way your SWing will not be scratched.

https://www.silverwing600.com/t31-givi-passenger-backrest-installation-pictorial
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
Smaug
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Smaug

PostSubject: Re: How to mount Bestem top case?   How to mount Bestem top case? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 19, 2017 2:02 pm

Thanks Jeff. I'm not sure if the Bestem bottom strap holes lined up with the ones in the Silver Wing's spoiler. I wish I had thought to check. I might not have needed the steel mounting straps that go on the bottom of the rack...

What I did instead was to take the mounting plate and lay it on the spoiler. Then mark the hole locations (all four) with a fine-tipped Sharpie. Center-punched them, drilled them through.

Pix and video coming soon.
Back to top Go down
Smaug
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Smaug

PostSubject: Re: How to mount Bestem top case?   How to mount Bestem top case? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 19, 2017 2:05 pm

Edit: Photobucket linked pix don't work, and I can't attach anything. :-\

Hardware Included with the Bestem 2012 42L top case:
How to mount Bestem top case? Pbucket

Rear end of the Silver Wing opened up to gain access to the brake light wires, to splice the LEDs in the top case in:

Green (negative) and green/yellow (positive) are the leads you want:
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: How to mount Bestem top case?   How to mount Bestem top case? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 20, 2017 12:27 pm

The holes in the Bestem box I had didn't mesh with the Silverwing's carrier. I drilled out the SW's existing mounting holes and made a 3/16" thick aluminum plate that would fit the SW's holes and the Bestem's bolt positions as well. That also allowed me to use spacers cut from aluminum tube to get the new box to sit at a better angle without so much up tilt on the rear. One could use small stacks of washers under the plate as well instead if of the small pieces of tubing. Be a lot easier to get the right height and angle that way.
The little LEDs in the box really don't show up much. One could modify the rear lights with some more LEDs but I decided it wasn't worth the effort as well as making it a lot easier and faster not having to deal with a power cord plug and socket when I wanted remove the box. I though the Bestem was a good deal especially considering the quality and price. The Givi would be easier to install if one doesn't mind the extra cost and it's also a very nice box.
Back to top Go down
Smaug
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Smaug

PostSubject: Re: How to mount Bestem top case?   How to mount Bestem top case? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 20, 2017 3:44 pm

The Givi Monokey V46 I had before was excellent, but I got it used. I wouldn't have paid the full asking price. I think they're over $300, by the time you get everything you really need.

We'll see how the Bestem holds up. If not, I'll look for used Givi or maybe that Spanish brand, which is priced between Givi and Bestem.

Here are links to the photos I meant to directly embed, above:

that doesn't work either. Sad

Last edited by Smaug on Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: How to mount Bestem top case?   How to mount Bestem top case? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 20, 2017 11:29 pm

It's interesting to read you thought your previous used Givi top box was excellent, but you wouldn't have paid the full asking price. Now if you had bought Givi/Kappa and the Silver Wing specific fitting plate and  instead of a Bestem there would have been no need to start a topic about fitting one.

You'd have either figured it out from the badly printed instructions that come with the Monorack, or from the PDF on the Givi website. I wouldn't say buying Givi was an investment but it's a lot easier to transfer a top box from one maxi to another by just by purchasing the appropriate fitting kit for the new scoot. My Givi E52 has been used on a 250 Majesty, 400 and 650 Burgmans, and on my Silver Wing before I bought the E55 I use now.

Then of course there's all the Givi spare parts that you can buy if you need them lock and key sets, hinges, reflectors, back rests etc.
Back to top Go down
Smaug
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Smaug

PostSubject: Re: How to mount Bestem top case?   How to mount Bestem top case? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 21, 2017 7:13 am

Meldrew, I had a Givi in my cart, along with the fitment kit. $400 or something. For $400, it should include our choice of fitment kit. It's $5 worth of hardware, for Christ's sake.

Then, the model I wanted wasn't available in gloss black, so it wouldn't even match my bike. If I got that model that DID have the option for a gloss black cover, that was an extra $75 or something. If I wanted lights, that's another extra charge. Nope, they're way too greedy. They're acting like they have no competition. There's a Spanish company named Shad that also makes high quality top cases, probably between Givi and Bestem.

If this Bestem turns out not to be good enough for my needs, I'll find a used Givi and not be gouged by them. That's the beauty of a high quality product; it's durable enough to last through multiple owners. One doesn't always need to take the hit so the manufacturer can have their super-high profit margin.

So far, the box was harder to mount than Givi, due to not having any documentation. The latch is not as sturdy, but it's better than a milk crate or a bag bungeed to the seat. LEDs were included and built-in. Gloss black finish on the top was no extra charge. Fitment kit (non model specific) was included at no extra charge. The locking is not as elegant, but perfectly functional.

We'll see how it holds up in the long run. So far, I'm not unhappy to have saved the $400+ to put toward a couple nights in a hotel on a road trip. Or heck, that might even pay for a whole weekend trip if I camp.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: How to mount Bestem top case?   How to mount Bestem top case? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 21, 2017 10:00 am

I just realized that I didn't have a Bestem case. I looked at them an ordered one for a friend but the one I put on was a Coocase.

http://www.feridax.com/brands/coocase/11.htm
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to mount Bestem top case?   How to mount Bestem top case? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How to mount Bestem top case?
Page 1 of 1