Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» checking the oil
Getting ready for next bike purchase I_icon_minitimeby COMick Today at 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Getting ready for next bike purchase I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Getting ready for next bike purchase I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Getting ready for next bike purchase I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Getting ready for next bike purchase I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Getting ready for next bike purchase I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Getting ready for next bike purchase I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Getting ready for next bike purchase I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Getting ready for next bike purchase I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Getting ready for next bike purchase I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Getting ready for next bike purchase

Go down 
+11
Meldrew
Smaug
Cosmic_Jumper
2wheelgal
JeffR
Mech 1 twa
Dale N.
Scootypuff Snr
steve_h80
Bash On!
john grinsel
15 posters
AuthorMessage
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Getting ready for next bike purchase Empty
PostSubject: Getting ready for next bike purchase   Getting ready for next bike purchase I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 05, 2017 3:48 pm

In 30 days or so I will be coming into some money---house in Chattanooga sold. Time to get another bike/scooter.

I like scooters--- but my body at 78 no longer likes the spine pounding feet forward provides.

With Honda having nothing in scooters that would work for me anyway---PCX 150,slow....Forza 300 looks like only one year deal in US. Honda bikes I have to look further, no centerstand or one not available is turn off for me.

Weight important to me as I age---control, too...ability to control clutch, foot pegs to stand on if necessary, do not really love linked brakes, I like tank to grip with knees, etc.

I have had Suzuki TU 250....like them, simple, easy to work on, do not break----As I need to carry stuff, 2 luggage racks are available, metal tank so magnetic tank bags work, no center stand sucks, open chain=messy. But with lots of oil I can get 40,000 miles out of set of chain and sprockets.... and they are much cheaper than drive belts TU probably weighs almost 200lbs less than SilverWing. Good windshield selection available. BUT TU 250 is about $500 more than GW250 (China) that has centerstand, rack, hard bags available from Japan.

Vespa would require $8000 set up the way I need----and then no dealers nationwide and they are probably not as foolproof as Japanese. (had 4 of them)

So at this point TU250 will probably work well for me again...will research other Honda models, SR400 Yamaha ok but quite expensive @$7500 with Hepco & Becker hard bags/rack and National Cycle Windshield (Had new SR500, so know what to expect.)

Then what do I do with my 2013 left over SilverWing?? They have little used value right now.
Back to top Go down
Bash On!
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2015-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for next bike purchase   Getting ready for next bike purchase I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 05, 2017 4:38 pm

john grinsel wrote:

So at this point TU250 will probably work well for me again...
Then what do I do with my 2013 left over SilverWing?? They have little used value right now.

I like the TU250--good candidate for what you want.

On the Silver Wing, I bet you got your money's worth out of it. It's a sunk cost. Sell it for what you can get and be done with it. Or keep it for a backup.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 998
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for next bike purchase   Getting ready for next bike purchase I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 06, 2017 2:09 pm

If your still ok with throwing your leg over a bike I'd say you have loads of options John. If you want to stick with Honda they have a few designs based on the 500 and engines, if you want to be clutch free the nc750 range is available with dct transmission albeit at more money.
As for chains just fit a scottoiler and eliminate the hassle.
Back to top Go down
Scootypuff Snr
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Scootypuff Snr

Number of posts : 232
Registration date : 2017-04-21

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for next bike purchase   Getting ready for next bike purchase I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 06, 2017 2:18 pm

I think the TU250 is a good bike and surprised emissions haven't killed it off (I'm sure there's still time) but it's tiny

I still think maybe a V-Strom 650 is worth a look.

steve_h80 I don't think  the 750 has made it stateside but the VFR 1200 & CTX 1300 DCT are. I'm sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for next bike purchase   Getting ready for next bike purchase I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 06, 2017 4:24 pm

Understand I do not want automatic or DCT---easy valve adjust...no shims. NO CRUISERS....look at the uncomfortable riding position!! and no centerstand.

Light weight important to me....drop it in the country....can it be raised alone?

For TU 250, I will need windshield that really manages the air, luggage rack that works---will use top box because of the convenience----hate the weight of my Givi and its effect on handling---past trips to Alaska used Rubber Made box=light, cheap. TU needs decent tool box, tube will work---then there is no convenience dry place for papers, used license plate box last time (Aerostich)----no mods to bike, carry spare tube, tools to remove wheels in case of flat, small pump-----just do not like to be stranded, as delays on long trips can be expensive.

I feel 2018 may be last year for TU ----Euro 4 will kill it. And for older riders, especially those who probably weren't real skilled when younger, you need complete control of bike/scooter---gas/clutch/ rear brake for feet up riding in the slow stuff. Twice in the past 2 days ran into situations with SilverWing where I wasn't really comfortable----small country road where pavement ended, got real narrow/deep gravel....turning around took time and energy and then yesterday Parts House, deep pot holed/ gravel parking lot...not too comfortable....neither case did I not drop bike, but could have.

Then I carry dog, 8-9 lbs, he can ride in top box or tank bag---on SilverWing he goes well in Givi hump bag. Dog is good alarm system camping alone.

Plans for 2018 rides---will do it to 49 states with TU 250, did it 2014 with SilverWing/Burgman 400 and TU250--really not hard, like to avoid big cities...paid $12 to cross bridge in New York City=waste of money and time.
Back to top Go down
Scootypuff Snr
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Scootypuff Snr

Number of posts : 232
Registration date : 2017-04-21

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for next bike purchase   Getting ready for next bike purchase I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 06, 2017 5:36 pm

Enjoy your TU250 then.

Safe travels
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1986
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for next bike purchase   Getting ready for next bike purchase I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 07, 2017 12:42 am

Good luck with your new bike John.

I'm sort of getting ready for my "new" scooter too.

I'm having the same trike kit put on it as Pastor Ron put on his. I'm doing it at the end of this month. Riding season will be pretty much over by then so I will ride it in to them and they said they'd deliver it to my house in their enclosed trailer. That way I can sit on it and go Vroom Vroom Vroom over the winter waiting for spring.

These are just stock images and not of my SWing.

Getting ready for next bike purchase Swing110

Getting ready for next bike purchase Swing212
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for next bike purchase   Getting ready for next bike purchase I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 07, 2017 9:59 pm

Very nice. Put some snow tires on ride all year. WAYYYYY to cold in MN. for me.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for next bike purchase   Getting ready for next bike purchase I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 07, 2017 10:02 pm

I knew a guy who rode his Goldwing all winter as long as the roads were dry. Snowmobile suit, gloves and boots.

Not for me...
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for next bike purchase   Getting ready for next bike purchase I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 08, 2017 2:48 am

KAWASAKI VERSYS-X 300

https://eastbaymotorsports.com/Motorcycles-Kawasaki-Versys-X-300-2017-Hayward-CA-4d8ca89e-9436-4085-a183-a6de01347609G

John,

Have you seen the Versys 300?  I just found this when looking at the website of the store I have bought at before.  I know people who have the Versys 650 that they love that bike.  They say it is very smooth.  They also have the ABS version of the 300.  Just asking.

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/kawasaki/2017-kawasaki-versys-x-300-preview.html (added after I posted. It looks like it may be 39hp but they aren't sure yet) If I get another bike I would look at this. It has the power and is a twin cylinder.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for next bike purchase   Getting ready for next bike purchase I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 08, 2017 7:17 am

Kawasaki=high seating position, does windshield really work?, twin, centerstand?, price a little high, valve adjust?

I like simple, easy to work on---TU is a bit overpriced, though.
Back to top Go down
2wheelgal
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2016-08-20

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for next bike purchase   Getting ready for next bike purchase I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 08, 2017 8:03 am

Dale N. wrote:
I knew a guy who rode his Goldwing all winter as long as the roads were dry. Snowmobile suit, gloves and boots.

Not for me...

I was one of those nuts too! When I lived in the NW corner of Ohio, there was only one year, out of the 20 I lived there and rode, that I missed riding every month of the year. I had a full set of Gerbings heated gear to keep me nice and warm. My coldest ride was on New Years day 1990, I rode 80 miles and the temp was -10 most of that ride. The roads were dry and not covered in salt so I took a ride. Boy did I get some weird looks from other motorists on the road the road that day!! Laughing
Back to top Go down
2wheelgal
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for next bike purchase   Getting ready for next bike purchase I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 08, 2017 8:08 am

Dale N. wrote:

I'm having the same trike kit put on it as Pastor Ron put on his. I'm doing it at the end of this month. Riding season will be pretty much over by then so I will ride it in to them and they said they'd deliver it to my house in their enclosed trailer. That way I can sit on it and go Vroom Vroom Vroom over the winter waiting for spring.

These are just stock images and not of my SWing.

Getting ready for next bike purchase Swing110

Getting ready for next bike purchase Swing212

Congrats Dave!! I know you are going to love a trike!  I am also going with a trike on my Silverwing.  Ordered the Voyager kit yesterday, should be ready in 3-4 weeks.  I thought a lot about the Motortrike conversion, had one on my Goldwing and really liked it.  I still wanted the option to ride on 2 wheels so went with the Voyager.
Back to top Go down
Bash On!
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for next bike purchase   Getting ready for next bike purchase I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 08, 2017 9:39 am

JeffR wrote:
KAWASAKI VERSYS-X 300

Was going to suggest this bike also, but reading between the lines, I think John already has his mind made up.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for next bike purchase   Getting ready for next bike purchase I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 08, 2017 10:19 am

Dale N. wrote:

I'm a bit confused. Dale's, Voyager stock photos show an actual (nice looking) Trike conversion for a Silverwing. However Voyager's website shows their Silverwing trike conversion to be of the "training wheel" persuasion.

Tim
Back to top Go down
2wheelgal
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for next bike purchase   Getting ready for next bike purchase I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 08, 2017 10:38 am

Dale is getting the Motortrike kit (shown in the pictures he attached) installed on his Swing, I am getting the Voyager kit on mine so I can still ride 2 wheels for now when I have the urge to do that.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for next bike purchase   Getting ready for next bike purchase I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 08, 2017 1:47 pm

Yes, mine is going to be the Motor Trike kit. I've seen the Voyager but wanted only two wheels on the back. To each his own. I just didn't like the look of three wheels in the back. I've seen a couple of them and decided to get the Motor Trike version.
Back to top Go down
Smaug
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Smaug

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2012-07-30

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for next bike purchase   Getting ready for next bike purchase I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 10, 2017 2:19 pm

John, a lot of 78 year olds have a hard time lifting their leg over a bike. How are your hips? Balance?

Being an air-cooled 250, you are going to find it is not a very good expressway bike, even with a good windshield. Just not quite enough power. It looks like a 70s-styled version of my old '94 Nighthawk 250. The Nighthawk was carbureted, which made it a bit more of a pain, and it hesitated annoyingly a bit at certain revs.

Anyway, the Nighthawk 250 topped out at about 75 mph, and it was not really happy there. I would say its top cruising speed was about 68 mph. Be ready to ride in the slow lane, getting passed by everyone.

I also had a '94 Ninja 250. That was a much better bike, all-around. It had some wind protection, and with its liquid-cooled twin and a 14,000 RPM redline made it a ton of fun. It would cruise at 80 mph no problem. It got 75 mpg instead of 85, like the Nighthawk.

As for maintenance, at 78, why are you worried about doing valve adjustments? I sure the hell won't be doing it myself at 78. Sparkplugs, chain maintenance, oil changes, brakes... that's enough.

Instead of the TU, take a look at the latest Ninja 300 and CBR300 as well as the previous generation 250s.

If, as a previous poster said, you're already set on the TU, do yourself a favor and keep the Silver Wing for awhile. I think you'll find that you've come to take a lot of its strengths for granted. (good wind protection, good power, good storage, twin cylinder engine, etc.)

In your first post, you ruled out the PCX. I just traded my PCX on a Silver Wing. It was very light and easy to handle, and was surprisingly quick up to 50 mph. It would cruise at 60, but the rear suspension is just terrible. I don't know if it was the cheap stock shocks or what, but my healthy 40 year old back could not take more than an hour or two of riding it.

As to your comments about the Silver Wing's riding posture leading to your back taking a pounding, did you try changing your riding posture? I usually ride with my feet at the back of the floorboard, with a slight forward lean. Much easier on the back that way. Then, when I want to stretch my legs for awhile on smooth pavement, it's no problem.

I second the recommendation for a Versys 300 or even CB500x. I almost bought a used CB500x instead of the Silver Wing, but I remember not taking the motorcycle out for local trips, back in the day.

Well, have fun, whatever you get.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for next bike purchase   Getting ready for next bike purchase I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 10, 2017 5:58 pm

Look I am not beginner---62 years riding, had 2 new SilverWings----so know about feet forward and spine----Also had new TU 250, sold it to ease garage space----ridden over 1.5 milllion miles since 1955--don't mind going slow---lived in Germany over 20 years so know about going fast.

At 78 getting on bike no problem, working on bike no problem---with TU 250 easy to put on lift alone----Heavy SilverWing, not.

Having purchased over 75 new bikes---I have some experience in bike/scooter selection.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for next bike purchase   Getting ready for next bike purchase I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 10, 2017 6:13 pm

john grinsel wrote:
Having purchased over 75 new bikes---I have some experience in bike/scooter selection.

That's why I find it strange you always start a topic about it whenever you change scooters. You more than anyone know what's suitable for your particular needs, so like that famous Nike advertising slogan says,  "Just Do It".  Smile

Last edited by Meldrew on Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Smaug
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Smaug

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2012-07-30

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for next bike purchase   Getting ready for next bike purchase I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 10, 2017 7:29 pm

john grinsel wrote:
Look I am not beginner---62 years riding, had 2 new SilverWings----so know about feet forward and spine----Also had new TU 250, sold it to ease garage space----ridden over 1.5 milllion miles since 1955--don't mind going slow---lived in Germany over 20 years so know about going fast.  

At 78 getting on bike no problem, working on bike no problem---with TU 250 easy to put on lift alone----Heavy SilverWing, not.

Well never mind then. You already know it all. Why bother posting? Or reading?
Back to top Go down
Jolly Bodger
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2016-10-05

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for next bike purchase   Getting ready for next bike purchase I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 10, 2017 8:05 pm

I must admit I'm tiring of the same old rants. I'm with Meldrew "Just Do it"

JB
Back to top Go down
Bash On!
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for next bike purchase   Getting ready for next bike purchase I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 11, 2017 2:22 pm

Jolly Bodger wrote:
I must admit I'm tiring of the same old rants. I'm with Meldrew "Just Do it"

JB

He's not looking for advice, just affirmation of a decision he's already made.
Back to top Go down
Jolly Bodger
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2016-10-05

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for next bike purchase   Getting ready for next bike purchase I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 11, 2017 3:02 pm

I'm sure it's a sign of dementure when you keep repeating yourself...

Just saying...

JB
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for next bike purchase   Getting ready for next bike purchase I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 11, 2017 4:09 pm

Yeah... it's a sign of "dementia" too... I know...
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Getting ready for next bike purchase 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for next bike purchase   Getting ready for next bike purchase I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 11, 2017 7:18 pm

Dale N. wrote:
Yes, mine is going to be the Motor Trike kit. I've seen the Voyager but wanted only two wheels on the back. To each his own. I just didn't like the look of three wheels in the back. I've seen a couple of them and decided to get the Motor Trike version.

Dale,

You need to be careful posting those pictures of your trike. Some relative in Florida may want her scooter back. :lol!:

It does look good!

Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for next bike purchase   Getting ready for next bike purchase I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 12, 2017 9:07 am

The Motor trike look,s awsome.That being said My Trigg Trike has 90k kl on the clock , by putting a mud Gard with fringes covers the driving wheel completely hiding the drive wheel.I like the  fact that the wheel bearings has a life time warranty with the original owner . I like the fact that it can fit on other scooters and all the 750 mc cruisers including Harley,s sportsters . At $4800.00 delivered to the door ,IMO the best out rigger kit out there .Best of luck with the Motor trike hope it is as dependable as my Trigg kit.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for next bike purchase   Getting ready for next bike purchase I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 12, 2017 9:30 am

Hi Yo, they've already seen it. But she's NOT getting it back! They are talking about moving back up here. I might take them for a ride around the block but that's about it. Well, maybe two blocks.

Their first winter back up here will be hilarious...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Getting ready for next bike purchase   Getting ready for next bike purchase I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Getting ready for next bike purchase
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Honda Silver Wing :: Silver Wing Topics-
Jump to: