Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
What brand/line of car tire for my trike? I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 4:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
What brand/line of car tire for my trike? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
What brand/line of car tire for my trike? I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
What brand/line of car tire for my trike? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
What brand/line of car tire for my trike? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
What brand/line of car tire for my trike? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
What brand/line of car tire for my trike? I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
What brand/line of car tire for my trike? I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
What brand/line of car tire for my trike? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
What brand/line of car tire for my trike? I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

What brand/line of car tire for my trike?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

What brand/line of car tire for my trike? Empty
PostSubject: What brand/line of car tire for my trike?   What brand/line of car tire for my trike? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 21, 2017 8:56 pm

Will be replacing my rear wheel on my 2004 Swing trike and wanted to know what brand/line of car tires in the 165/70 r13 size are still available. Even though it will be mounted on my trike, I would want a tire with more rounded edges, if there exists one. This would be if I should choose to ride with out the trike installed.

Anyone have any experience with the Ironman RB12 165/70 r13 tire?

I will be riding two up and so the 170 size would be too big. I have been reading the TRIKE and DS sections, but most posts are too old and the tires mentioned are no longer available.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: What brand/line of car tire for my trike?   What brand/line of car tire for my trike? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 22, 2017 2:23 pm

As your trike retains bike rear wheel---I would just replace tire with scooter tire===think overall gearing--larger OD rear tire is going to affect overall gearing----higher gearing is further going to strain drivetrain....doing something it was never designed to do.
Back to top Go down
Modernman1953
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 379
Registration date : 2016-06-01

PostSubject: Re: What brand/line of car tire for my trike?   What brand/line of car tire for my trike? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 22, 2017 8:27 pm

There are plenty of car tires being used on this forum. Just do a search and see all of those available. The subject on here is such that many won't contribute their experience with a car tire on their Silverwing as they have grown tired of having defend themselves for doing so.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

PostSubject: Re: What brand/line of car tire for my trike?   What brand/line of car tire for my trike? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 22, 2017 11:37 pm

Modernman1953, Mahalo for your response. The way I see it is there will always be people who will disagree with you and that is fine by me as long as they are expressing their personal opinion and not to give negative remarks because they may disagree with my opinion.
Now back to the tire question. I have searched this forum and the most used tire is the Sumutomo 165/70 r13 and the Sumutomo 155/70 r13, but that tire is no longer available.
I am leaning to the Ironman RB12 165/70 r13 from onlinetires.com. I plan to get the HF tire changer w/motorcycle attachment. I have the same setup here in Honolulu.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: What brand/line of car tire for my trike?   What brand/line of car tire for my trike? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 23, 2017 2:35 am

Easyrider wrote:
Modernman1953, Mahalo for your response. The way I see it is there will always be people who will disagree with you and that is fine by me as long as they are expressing their personal opinion and not to give negative remarks because they may disagree with my opinion.

Of course people will disagree, this a forum after all and of course you'll get opposing views on the subject of car tyres fitted to motorcycles, maxi scooters, and er ... trikes that sometimes have four wheels.

I've said this before, you'd only get the views of fellow Darksiders if you all played the game and discussed everything about car tyres/tires amongst yourselves in that closed little corner of the forum you all asked for and were given.

This doesn't happen though does it, you all love the controversy you generate on here playing Darksiders, and as topics about car tyres are always started on the open forum.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

PostSubject: Re: What brand/line of car tire for my trike?   What brand/line of car tire for my trike? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 23, 2017 3:12 am

Meldrew,
I agree with you. It seems that everyone gets to see everything posted in the private sections and that does cause friction among members. I never asked for special access rights to the DS section, but am able to post and reply there. I was under the impression that special permission needs to be granted by an admin. I always read threads with an open mind and try to understand the posters point of view. 

I have a 2013 Swing here in Honolulu and plan to use motorcycle tires(tyres). I enjoy leaning into the curbs. The 2004 Swing I just purchased in Idaho came with a Voyager trike and it doesn't lean into the curbs no matter how much I try. The date code tells me that the rear tire was manufactured the eight week of 2008 and I need to replace it. It is badly cupped. The wheel is beyond repair and also needs to be replaced. Since it will not lean into the curbs, I decided to mount a car tire. It already has two car tires for training wheels, so why not add another that will supply power to the road.
Just ordered an Ironman RB-12 165/70 r13 tire.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: What brand/line of car tire for my trike?   What brand/line of car tire for my trike? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 23, 2017 7:36 am

JeffR opened he Darkside forum last year. It is no longer necessary to ask to join that sub forum to have
a darkside tire conversation. Now folks are free to discuss tires in any appropriate forum. Hopefully, now that we all wear big boy pants (trousers), we are able to discuss --or ignore-- car tires in a civil manner.

Tim
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: What brand/line of car tire for my trike?   What brand/line of car tire for my trike? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 23, 2017 8:28 am

That's true and it's more a US thing anyway, but since we all have the resources of the Internet at our disposal, why all this constant asking of the same questions about car tyre choices, put the aforementioned big boy pants on and make your own choice.

I easily found an alternative tyre choice when choosing replacements for my Bridgestone Hoops, I didn't feel any need to start a topic, ask for opinions, or whatever, or dig out my big boy pants. I simply spent a few minutes looking at alternative tyre manufacturers websites, chose a set of Contiental ContiMove 365’s, ordered a set from a nearby dealership, and when they were delivered rode the Silver Wing there and had them and new tyre valves fitted while I went for a wander round York.

I gave it a couple of hours, went back and picked the Silver Wing up, had a chat with the mechanic who'd also lubed the rear wheel splines, and then went out for a ride being mindful I was out on new rubber.

So no messing about removing front and rear wheels and taking them to be shod with new tyres,  So no sweating and cursing trying to get the old ones off. No worrying if something from an obscure car tyre manufacturer might fit either, and visually the ContMoves look more car tyre than motorcycle/maxi scooter tyre.

If car tyres were legal here and I wanted to fit one, I'd do pretty much the same thing. I mean who has an online forum discussion when their car needs new tyres, no one does. They just drive there and have new ones fitted, and forget about it until they need the next set.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

PostSubject: Re: What brand/line of car tire for my trike?   What brand/line of car tire for my trike? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 23, 2017 2:46 pm

Meldrew,
My reason for asking the same questions about car tires on motorcycles is that the suggested tires are no longer available and I wanted an update for this question. Hey Meldrew, this is one of the biggest benefits of this forum. You can ask the masses and get back many options. No one should get upset when reading posts that seems similar to other posts. Just skip over the post if it upsets you. Your opinion is noted. Thank you.

BTW. I do look for tire reviews on the internet when purchasing tires for my car. I once purchased a set of tires and was disappointed with the amount of road noise it made. From then on I do my research. Tires have different characteristics based upon thread design.
Back to top Go down
Modernman1953
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 379
Registration date : 2016-06-01

PostSubject: Re: What brand/line of car tire for my trike?   What brand/line of car tire for my trike? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 24, 2017 4:55 pm

I learned a new word today.

Mahalo = thank you.

Thank you!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What brand/line of car tire for my trike?   What brand/line of car tire for my trike? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What brand/line of car tire for my trike?
Page 1 of 1