Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Goodbye guys
Considering the Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:58 am

» noise under load
Considering the Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby dmosemorris Yesterday at 1:30 pm

» checking the oil
Considering the Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby arcamedies13 Yesterday at 9:32 am

» Ignition wires to which plug?
Considering the Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Thu May 16, 2024 6:39 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
Considering the Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Wed May 15, 2024 2:13 pm

» Silverwing Brakes
Considering the Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Tue May 14, 2024 11:57 pm

» LF extended back rest
Considering the Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Mon May 13, 2024 7:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
Considering the Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

» Left brake micro-switch
Considering the Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
Considering the Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Considering the Silverwing

Go down 
+7
Meldrew
Greysilver
gremlin
dekare
john grinsel
Bash On!
hypophthalmus
11 posters
AuthorMessage
hypophthalmus
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2017-08-07

Considering the Silverwing Empty
PostSubject: Considering the Silverwing   Considering the Silverwing I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 07, 2017 2:02 pm

I have a Kymco People 250 that the engine recently died on. The simplified story is that on a longer trip the engine temperature went from normal to badly overheated within a few minutes without me noticing and destroyed the engine.

In a fairly remote Arkansas town, there's not really much in town driving. Instead it'll be mostly 80mph highways and twisty mountain roads. And I'd like to take fairly frequently longer trips. So 250cc is pretty minimal, and I've been considering getting something larger that might be more reliable.

In my price range (under $2500), the Silverwing seems like one of the better options. It sounds like its built for longevity and has great parts availability.

Some things are giving me pause:

I don't know what the extra 200 pounds are going to be like. The few times I've had a passenger on my Kymco, it seemed a bit cumbersome at slower speed. But maybe it's different... or I'd just get used to it.

I'm not sure about the linked brakes. I thought at first that just the front lever activates the rear brake, which would be a bit patronizing but acceptable. But evidently the rear lever activates the front brake, which sounds potentially dangerous. I use the rear brake a lot where the front brake would throw me off balance.

For both of those reasons, I'm concerned about taking on the occasional 10-20 mile rough gravel road. On my People 250, I'd feel comfortable roughing it out and taking it slow (much more comfortable than in a car). But I don't know if this would be much different.

Also, I like being able to pull over, look at directions, and casually turn around just about anywhere. I'm assuming this is possible on a Silverwing, but best to make sure.

I'd consider a more conventional motorcycle as well, but scooters seem generally better suited for camping trips and transporting things.

I've never actually been unhappy with my People 250 on long trips (except for occasionally getting stuck behind a truck). So maybe another option is to accept my engine damage as a weird fluke, and find another bike of a similar size.
Back to top Go down
Bash On!
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2015-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Considering the Silverwing   Considering the Silverwing I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 07, 2017 4:04 pm

Not sure what you're asking exactly. Nobody can tell you how YOU will feel on a bike that weighs more, has linked braking, might handle differently on a gravel road etc. However-I would recommend you test-ride a SW if you can.

From my own perspective, I transitioned from a 150 scooter to the SW without issue, but I've ridden all sizes of bikes from mopeds to Harleys in the past. I've also bought a few bikes without a test ride, and have never been disappointed despite that. YMMV, of course, based on a myriad of factors.

Happy hunting!
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3299
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Considering the Silverwing   Considering the Silverwing I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 07, 2017 5:08 pm

At $2500 you will not find much.....and remember they ain't free to fix/maintain. Based on near 90,000 miles of SilverWing use---they are heavy/overweight, very hard to make feet up u turns on country roads, no longer on market although there are still 2013 leftovers available. Honda parts from Honda dealer=easy.
Back to top Go down
dekare
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
dekare

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2016-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Considering the Silverwing   Considering the Silverwing I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 07, 2017 6:23 pm

john grinsel wrote:
At $2500 you will not find much.....and remember they ain't free to fix/maintain.  Based on near 90,000 miles of SilverWing use---they are heavy/overweight, very hard to make feet up u turns on country roads, no longer on market although there are still 2013 leftovers available. Honda parts from Honda dealer=easy.

I would assume since he's talking $2500, he's talking used. I see a number of SWings on Craigslist at that price point. IMO, many are owned by older clientele that give up riding or don't ride enough or people that bought them and then want to move to something larger, and haven't put many miles on them.
Back to top Go down
dekare
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
dekare

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2016-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Considering the Silverwing   Considering the Silverwing I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 07, 2017 6:37 pm

hypophthalmus wrote:

Some things are giving me pause:

I don't know what the extra 200 pounds are going to be like. The few times I've had a passenger on my Kymco, it seemed a bit cumbersome at slower speed. But maybe it's different... or I'd just get used to it.

I'm not sure about the linked brakes. I thought at first that just the front lever activates the rear brake, which would be a bit patronizing but acceptable. But evidently the rear lever activates the front brake, which sounds potentially dangerous. I use the rear brake a lot where the front brake would throw me off balance.

For both of those reasons, I'm concerned about taking on the occasional 10-20 mile rough gravel road. On my People 250, I'd feel comfortable roughing it out and taking it slow (much more comfortable than in a car). But I don't know if this would be much different.

Also, I like being able to pull over, look at directions, and casually turn around just about anywhere. I'm assuming this is possible on a Silverwing, but best to make sure.

I'd consider a more conventional motorcycle as well, but scooters seem generally better suited for camping trips and transporting things.

I've never actually been unhappy with my People 250 on long trips (except for occasionally getting stuck behind a truck). So maybe another option is to accept my engine damage as a weird fluke, and find another bike of a similar size.

I ride a fair amount 2-up. I really don't notice a rider too much until I slow down or come to a stop. The same thing on a GWing. I've never had any problem with the linked brakes, thinking they were dangerous. I love how the bike stops. Can you imagine the class action lawsuit if Honda knowingly put something out there that caused injury? Turning around is usually pretty effortless. If I'm fatigued, it can get dicey, but that's another subject and so is focusing your eyes on where you want to go to complete your turn as well.
Back to top Go down
gremlin
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
gremlin

Number of posts : 227
Registration date : 2015-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Considering the Silverwing   Considering the Silverwing I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 07, 2017 8:32 pm

Even though I lost my SW in an accident and now ride a Bevery 350; for what you want to do, the Silverwing is perfect, I couldn't think of anything better. The extra weight is no issue once you are mobile. It really only comes into it, when you move it by pushing it around. But for the combination of performance,reliability and parts availability I don't think you can find anything better.
Back to top Go down
Greysilver
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Greysilver

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2014-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Considering the Silverwing   Considering the Silverwing I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 07, 2017 10:43 pm

Silverwing is well thought out and well put together. I don't notice the weight as i moved from a Gold wing and a VTX (3 legged camel). I have never carried a passenger on a scooter so I can't speak to that. There isn't much in 580cc cycles I would choose to ride a passenger. I am a fan of linked brakes and ABS. Hondas tend to have linking, most models. I like the effortless propulsion, no shifting. SW seems ready to accelerate at any speed. I think you need $3500 available to shop for a Silverwing, if you luck out and get a clean one for less, celebrate. As John G said they ain't cheap to fix, its either the belt or the valves needing skilled attention plus reg. maintenance. Cheers and good luck.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4180
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Considering the Silverwing   Considering the Silverwing I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 08, 2017 7:45 am

Greysilver wrote:
Silverwing is well thought out and well put together. I don't notice the weight as i moved from a Gold wing and a VTX (3 legged camel). I have never carried a passenger on a scooter so I can't speak to that. There isn't much in 580cc cycles I would choose to ride a passenger.

The Silver Wing carries a passenger and all their kit effortlessly, I've taken Mrs M over to Germany on mine. It still cruises at up to 90mph on autobahns if necessary, overtaking long lines of trucks, long up hill sections or whatever,  it's fun on country roads too. Fuel economy doesn't suffer much either, I've clocked 170 plus miles on the trip recorder at fill ups on long rides without the reserve light flashing.

In fact the only downer I can think of is having to use a tunnel bag on these longer two up trips, clambering over it to get on and off the Silver Wing with one fitted.

Mrs M also prefers the passenger seat and foot rests of the Silver Wing, to the over wide seat and footboards of the lardass 650 Burgman we previously toured on.
Back to top Go down
Murf
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Murf

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2017-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Considering the Silverwing   Considering the Silverwing I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 08, 2017 11:00 am

Just my two cents worth. The Swing is a better option and has abundant power for mountain riding. My concern is you mentioned 10 to 20 miles of rough gravel road. (SHOW STOPPER). While the swing is a fantastic all around bike, it does not have the suspension or front tire size for (ROUGH gravel roads). i would go for a Suzuki VStrom 650. Great bike for the price but a little tall in the seat
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Considering the Silverwing   Considering the Silverwing I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 08, 2017 8:05 pm

I rode both of my Silverwings on gravel mountain roads around here. No problem, just take it easy and don't make any sudden maneuvers. The linked brakes don't really make much difference, they are proportioned to give most of the braking effort on the rear wheel when you use the left brake. The right only operates the front brake alone.
I don't like riding on gravel very much not due the ability of the bike but because I don't like gravel damage to the paint and underneath. If you do much of that kind of riding you'll definitely want to make a fender extension piece to mount on the rear edge of the fender. I made extensions on both SWs out of an old truck inner tube. Works good and it's flexible so it won't be damaged and it won't damage the fender on rough roads.
Back to top Go down
hypophthalmus
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Considering the Silverwing   Considering the Silverwing I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 08, 2017 10:28 pm

Thanks for all the input! Nobody can tell me for sure whether it'll work for me, but is helpful to extrapolate from other people's experiences.

It could be that I let a lot of great deals pass by. But I've seen a number of very nice looking Silverwings in the $1600-2500 range. Generally 2003-2007, and 10,000 to 40,000 miles. I'm comfortable doing my own mechanical work, so no concerns there. One of the nice things about two wheeled vehicles is that it's pretty easy.

I've also seen two Yamaha Majestys for $500, which is also a consideration. New parts would be silghtly easier, but used parts are *much* rarer and more expensive.

The mountain gravel roads are definitely quite rough... more like really nice walking trails. And steep and twisty, with sharp drop offs. But I managed them on my minivan without any damage. I'm sure I would have been much more comfortable doing it on my People 250, doing a steady 15-20 and driving around the holes (which is part of the slow speed weight concern). So I think any sort of off-road oriented bike would be overkill for my needs.

It's reassuring to know that the brakes aren't going to be much different.

When I went from 125 to 250, at first the extra weight seemed like a lot. But after getting used to it, the 250 basically feels weightless and I can't imagine how it could have felt heavy. Is that how it was for those of you who have moved bigger to the Silverwing?

I'm totally unfamiliar with fender extensions. Basically, you just attach some rubber to your fender to catch some of the gravel you wheels kick up?
Back to top Go down
Murf
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Murf

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2017-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Considering the Silverwing   Considering the Silverwing I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 09, 2017 1:22 pm

The thing you will like about the 600 Wing is the weight is so balanced and the power make the bike feel very stable. The fender extensions, think of mud flaps on a truck.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Considering the Silverwing   Considering the Silverwing I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 09, 2017 3:18 pm

Mud flaps used to be known as TN air brakes in my world. They do work on SilverWing, to a degree, my bike has one on the lower front fender.

Further, considering a SilverWing---ride them a lot they ain't exactly cheap to keep,- think, mine today at 45,000 miles, leftover 2013, since the 40,000 mile point--, usual oil & filters, one OEM drive belt, new front and rear tire, I changed air cleaner at 40,000, replace spark plugs---and OH, ABS lite came on in FL---motor for ABS is $1200.00---mine caused by wear/wobble rear wheel, air space off, only cost me $80 in shop labor to figure this out----I do own work, except ABS trouble shooting.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Considering the Silverwing   Considering the Silverwing I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 11, 2017 6:36 pm

john grinsel wrote:
Mud flaps used to be known as TN air brakes in my world.  They do work on SilverWing, to a degree, my bike has one on the lower front fender.

Further, considering a SilverWing---ride them a lot they ain't exactly cheap to keep,- think, mine today at 45,000 miles, leftover 2013, since the 40,000 mile point--, usual oil & filters, one OEM drive belt, new front and rear tire, I changed air cleaner at 40,000, replace spark plugs---and OH, ABS lite came on in  FL---motor for ABS is $1200.00---mine caused by wear/wobble rear wheel, air space off, only cost me $80 in shop labor to figure this out----I do own work, except ABS trouble shooting.

John,
What was the cause of your rear wheel wobble? I just picked up a 2004 Swing with a Voyager trike. Only after lifting the rear wheel off of the ground did I notice the rear wheel wobble. After removing the trike kit and removing the rear wheel did I see that the splines in the hub looked worn a lot. The splines on the final drive shaft look fine. I need a replacement rear non-ABS wheel. Anyone have a rear non-ABS wheel years 2002-2004?
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Considering the Silverwing   Considering the Silverwing I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 11, 2017 7:36 pm

Possible spline wear---or rode along ocean---sand and salt on air gap?. Splines in rear hub=ok, greased. No rear wheel wobble near 8,000 additional miles since problem first noticed. Bike now has 45,000 miles.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Considering the Silverwing   Considering the Silverwing I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 12, 2017 1:36 am

It's well worth greasing the splines with Molybdenum Paste. Not the cheap moly grease sold in parts stores but the real 60% stuff. I really reduces spline wear. In fact the early Goldwings had lot so problems with spline wear until they changed to moly paste. Honda sells the stuff as well as Loctite.
The stuff isn't cheap but worth every penny. I bought a one pound can from Loctite years ago and used it on a lot of Goldwings that came through my shop and still have about 3/4 of a can left. A tube of the Honda version will last for a looooong time. Well worth the $20.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Pro-Honda-Moly-60-Paste-UPDATE-M-77-New-in-Package-08798-9010-/151652016163?epid=1811133690&hash=item234f2a2023:g:eUUAAOSwBahVOSIr&vxp=mtr

https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-234227-LOC51048-Anti-Seize-Compound/dp/B001HWBSJW
Back to top Go down
hypophthalmus
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Considering the Silverwing   Considering the Silverwing I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 13, 2017 6:27 pm

The more time the idea has to steep, the more the V-Strom sounds like a good option.

I guess I assumed by its looks that it would have an awkward leaned over riding position for speed. But I guess not? And it's lighter, more powerful, and more efficient than the Silverwing.

And most importantly would open up a large avenue of possibilities. There are a lot of forest service roads in Arkansas.

I guess the main disadvantages would be storage space and price (although it's not *that* much more).
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4180
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Considering the Silverwing   Considering the Silverwing I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 14, 2017 3:31 am

You're used to lightweight scooters, not sure about handling the extra weight of a Silver Wing, want to ride gravel roads, and are now considering a V-Strom. The 650cc and 1000cc versions have been out for years constantly changing and evolving into very efficient adventure bikes.

For 2017 there's a new kid in town, the V-Strom 250. It was about the only bike that impressed me at our national show last year. It's based on the Inazuma 250, is easy to throw your leg over, has a tank range of almost 300 miles, and weighs 414 lbs opposed to the 544 lbs of the Silver Wing. There are factory fit top box and panniers for it so storage isn't a problem either.

I'm interested in one myself and I'd choose it as a more practical option over it's two more longer established stable mates. Unfortunately Suzuki have dragged their heels on this one and it's just starting to appear in dealerships now. Last week I made a detour from a ride out to peer through the showroom window of my local Suzuki dealer. The place was closed and although I could see both 650 and 1000 versions there was no sign of the smaller 'Wee- Strom'. Sad   Whether it'll be also imported to the US I've no idea.
Back to top Go down
Smaug
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Smaug

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2012-07-30

PostSubject: Re: Considering the Silverwing   Considering the Silverwing I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 28, 2017 11:09 am

I think if I were you, I'd get a mid-sized adventure bike: V-Strom 650 ABS, Honda CB500X, Kawasaki Versys 650, etc. Plan on a quality top box and a tank bag.

I've had motorcycles of all sizes and scooters of all sizes. The Silver Wing will do what you want, but if you're going to be doing a lot of highway miles and not as many local ones, the scooter benefits start to disappear, and the scooter drawbacks start to rear their heads.

- Small wheels = rougher ride
- More unsprung weight per cc, due to how the rear suspension works
- CVT = less efficient per cc than a motorcycle transmission with discrete gears
- Harder to work on, due to the engine being buried in plastic body panels that are hard to remove
- Feet forward seating position is harder on the back than a slight forward lean with feet under the rider. This is especially important off-road, where having the pegs under oneself makes it easy to stand on them and lower the center of gravity

When you throw light off-road into the equation, I'd throw scooters out. (with all due respect to the mighty Silver Wing!)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Considering the Silverwing   Considering the Silverwing I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Considering the Silverwing
Page 1 of 1