Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
Heated grips I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
Heated grips I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Heated grips I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Heated grips I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Heated grips I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Heated grips I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Heated grips I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Heated grips I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Heated grips I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Heated grips I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Heated grips

Go down 
+6
russcarver
MikeO
masscoot
dspevack
Waspie
The Scootist
10 posters
AuthorMessage
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2009-01-23

Heated grips Empty
PostSubject: Heated grips   Heated grips I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 04, 2009 3:46 pm

I wanted to ask if anyone is familiar with these heated grips from Twisted Throttle. They are listed at $75.00 - not a bad price from what I have seen. What kind do you guys recommend? Or NOT recommend?
DCC

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/4613/286/
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Heated grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heated grips   Heated grips I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 04, 2009 3:55 pm

I have the Honda heated grips and as I expected, a solid product easy to operate and heat -Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, toasty digits. ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh sunny
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

Heated grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heated grips   Heated grips I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 04, 2009 4:22 pm

I first got the Honda heated grips, which technically were not available for the Silverwing, but were available for the reflex and yet they were the same model.
That's Honda for you. Anyway, The controller was making them either too hot or not hot enough. Just didn't have enough control for me.

I like the Hotgrips brand because they make the grips an inch longer than stock, which gives me more real estate to grip. 575-875 for 7/8 inch handlebars.

Also their variable heat controller works better than the Honda control, at least for me.
Back to top Go down
masscoot
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
masscoot

Number of posts : 438
Registration date : 2009-03-24

Heated grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heated grips   Heated grips I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 04, 2009 4:32 pm

I use heated gloves/jacket. Heated grips would be and are more convenient, just flip a switch!
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Heated grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heated grips   Heated grips I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 04, 2009 4:38 pm

dspevack wrote:
I first got the Honda heated grips, which technically were not available for the Silverwing, but were available for the reflex and yet they were the same model.
That's Honda for you. Anyway, The controller was making them either too hot or not hot enough. Just didn't have enough control for me.

I like the Hotgrips brand because they make the grips an inch longer than stock, which gives me more real estate to grip. 575-875 for 7/8 inch handlebars.

Also their variable heat controller works better than the Honda control, at least for me.

The latest grips for the Silverwing from Honda, have five settings and operate by simply pushing a button to drop from scorching to simmer.
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

Heated grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heated grips   Heated grips I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 04, 2009 4:50 pm

Waspie:
I can't seem to find the Hinda heated grips of the Honda website. Do you have a link to a website where I can look them up? or a part number??
Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Heated grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heated grips   Heated grips I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 04, 2009 6:00 pm

The link is for the 2009 accessory catalogue, Beware 5mb in size so depending on your down load speed may take a minute. The grips are about page 14 or there abouts.

http://ww1.honda.co.uk/mcstatic/en/product/accessoriesPDF/2009Range/AccessoryCOMPLETE.pdf
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

Heated grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heated grips   Heated grips I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2009 11:41 am

Thanks Waspie:
I'm on a T-1 line so it took less than one minute to download. Geeze, those grips are just a wee bit pricey aren't they!
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Heated grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heated grips   Heated grips I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2009 12:18 pm

The Scootist wrote:
Thanks Waspie:
I'm on a T-1 line so it took less than one minute to download. Geeze, those grips are just a wee bit pricey aren't they!

Pricey - yes, but having talked to quite a few guys who have them already, I accepted the price for the durability and recommendations.

With the cold weather just starting to hit the UK I will keep all informed of their progress as to wether they do what they say they can.

Most of the guys I spoke to said they could ride with the heater on and no gloves!!!! Don't know if I would - but I got the point.
Back to top Go down

Heated grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heated grips   Heated grips I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2009 4:30 pm

I have heated grips. I've even used them on chilly evening in the summer, with my lightweight gloves on. I love 'em.
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Heated grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heated grips   Heated grips I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2009 5:31 pm

The Scootist wrote:
Thanks Waspie:
Geeze, those grips are just a wee bit pricey aren't they!

Pricey is an understatement!
£199 = $329 USDollars for Honda parts.

Hotgrips are wider, and you can get them with the variable controller, all for
£99 = $165 USDollars plus shipping.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Heated grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heated grips   Heated grips I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 06, 2009 6:22 am

Error, can someone please delete! I am unable to. VMT

Last edited by Waspie on Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:30 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : delete)
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Heated grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heated grips   Heated grips I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 06, 2009 6:23 am

dspevack wrote:
The Scootist wrote:
Thanks Waspie:
Geeze, those grips are just a wee bit pricey aren't they!

Pricey is an understatement!
£199 = $329 USDollars for Honda parts.

Hotgrips are wider, and you can get them with the variable controller, all for
£99 = $165 USDollars plus shipping.

Hindsight a marvelous thing.

You forgot the parts even when imported into the UK are still zapped with tax on top of what has already been paid. Still work out cheaper bu as I said - hindsight!!!

I recently bought a manual from States and the tax I paid was actually MORE than the manual!!!! Now that really hurt. One reason why I tend not to buy from your part of the planet. No fault of yours - it's our government and there tax collectors.

At least Prince John beat you up when he sent his tax collectors out. Come back Robin Hood all is forgiven. Heated grips Icon_lol
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

Heated grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heated grips   Heated grips I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 06, 2009 11:45 am

Waspie:
If my memory serves me correctly I believe taxation was one of the fundamental reasons that the US split from the UK...
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Heated grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heated grips   Heated grips I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 06, 2009 1:12 pm

The Scootist wrote:
Waspie:
If my memory serves me correctly I believe taxation was one of the fundamental reasons that the US split from the UK...

Heated grips Icon_lol Heated grips Icon_lol Heated grips Icon_lol I just wish my ancestors had chose the other side!! Heated grips Icon_lol Heated grips Icon_lol Heated grips Icon_lol
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

Heated grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heated grips   Heated grips I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 06, 2009 1:27 pm

Too funny! I'm sure there are times when we all feel that way - like when "W" was runnin' things over here... We are going to be trying to fix his mess for years...
Back to top Go down

Heated grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heated grips   Heated grips I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 06, 2009 2:23 pm

Political comments are best kept to ones self. SWings have nothing to do with politics!
My $.02. Heated grips Suspect
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

Heated grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heated grips   Heated grips I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 06, 2009 2:41 pm

My comment was intended as humor. It was not my intent to offend anyone. Sorry if I did.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3783
Registration date : 2009-06-29

Heated grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heated grips   Heated grips I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 06, 2009 2:43 pm

No offence taken here. Wink
Back to top Go down

Heated grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heated grips   Heated grips I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 06, 2009 2:44 pm

Nope, none taken. OK here.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Heated grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heated grips   Heated grips I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 06, 2009 3:53 pm

Nor me!!!

I thought it was simply historical banter!!!!!! Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
russcarver
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
russcarver

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2010-04-14

Heated grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heated grips   Heated grips I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 20, 2010 2:01 pm

Does anyone have the Hot Grips brand without the variable controller? Some questions:

1) Are the high & low settings adequate? I will be riding in freezing temps at some point this winter with full gauntlets and silk liners. My hands get cold very easily. I don't want 'em too cold or too hot

2) I stink at soldering (haven't had much practice). Is it easy to do?

3) How do you route the wires to the battery (any pictorials)?

4) One of the accessories at check out is: "Fuse Holder with 6amp fuse". What is this needed for?

Thanks!

--Russ
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Heated grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heated grips   Heated grips I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 20, 2010 2:11 pm

hotgrips has a pwm variable heat controller
Heated grips 166_image
Takes the guesswork out of heat levels.
While you're getting it, make sure to get the ones that are longer than the standard handlegrip. Gives you another inch of real estate for your hands.
Look at the top left corner of this picture.
You can see my heat controller mounted just below the keyhole.
Heated grips Dash_t10
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Heated grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heated grips   Heated grips I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 20, 2010 3:20 pm

I have a suspicion that the Honda push-button controller is common to several makes of heated gips.
If I'm correct, the three settings do what they say: very hot, hot and less hot.
I prefer the one Dan's got but mine is very satisfactory.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Heated grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heated grips   Heated grips I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 20, 2010 4:05 pm

MikeO wrote:
I have a suspicion that the Honda push-button controller is common to several makes of heated gips.
If I'm correct, the three settings do what they say: very hot, hot and less hot.
I prefer the one Dan's got but mine is very satisfactory.

The Honda controller has three lights but five heat settings and they cover the temp range very well.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Heated grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heated grips   Heated grips I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 20, 2010 6:43 pm

So that's what the half-lights show!
Thanks, Doug. cheers
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

Heated grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heated grips   Heated grips I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 21, 2010 1:18 am

I have hands that are very sensitive to cold. I've had heated grips but they didn't do it for me, just heated my palms but let my fingers freeze along with the back of my hands. I finally broke loose the bucks for a pair of Gerbings heated gloves and a heat controller for them. Man, where have these thing been all my life. I rode over the mountains to Eastern Oregon last Saturday, temps were around 36F at the higher altitudes. For the first time ever my hands didn't bother me riding in the cold. In fact it felt like a warm summer ride. I also wore a Gerbings jacket liner too but it was the gloves that made the difference. Much better than heated grips by far. If you have a cold hand problem I highly recommend the Gerbins with the microwire heaters, these are high quality gloves good for cool weather without heat but just the ticket for cold weather riding.
Back to top Go down
russcarver
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
russcarver

Heated grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heated grips   Heated grips I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 21, 2010 1:34 am

Sounds great exavid! I have been doing research and have been thinking of just these gloves! I'm considering the heated liners they make as opposed to the gloves to save money (as I have some terrific 3 season gloves). I'm also considering the battery operated versions as I can't say I'm a big fan of wires everywhere and these would be great for other outdoor activities. I can't find the battery life on their website though. My commute is 25 minutes one way.

--Russ
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Heated grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heated grips   Heated grips I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 21, 2010 6:33 am

The heated gloves sound just the job for the colder winter months. :not worthy:
Back to top Go down
russcarver
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
russcarver

Heated grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heated grips   Heated grips I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 21, 2010 10:32 am

I finally found the battery info, but it's $125 - $200 just for the batteries & charger! Oh vey!

--Russ
Back to top Go down
Hammy
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Hammy

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2010-05-22

Heated grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heated grips   Heated grips I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 21, 2010 8:28 pm

Re: the heated liners... All I can say is be careful. I had a pair of Gerbings glove liners before and a few motorcycle buddies who had the same experience as me -- the glove liners can actually burn the back of your hands. I ended up with grill marks after use, and so did a few of my friends. We all switched to regular heated gloves after that and never had that problem.

Speaking of heated gloves, Warm n Safe uses the same connectors as Gerbings and they make the same heated gear that gets branded and sold by First Gear and Tourmaster. They have passenger gloves which heat both the front and back of the hand, whereas the regular heated gloves only heat the back of the hand.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ezridersscooterclub.com
mitch
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
mitch

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2010-09-10

Heated grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heated grips   Heated grips I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 6:03 am

I am contemplating having heated grips fitted.

Any feedback would be appreciated on :-

Cost to supply / cost to fit and effectiveness of the different market brands.

I suppose the bespoke Honda grips would be the ones to go for / be suited but they appear pricey.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Heated grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heated grips   Heated grips I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 6:16 am

I have Honda heated grips; they were ordered and fitted pre-delivery so I don't know the cost off-hand.

I don't often use them but find them very effective at the point where, if the weather is very wet or cold and my little pinkies are going numb, they are invaluable.
There's a modicom of psychology, too - I know I can warm up my hands if I need to.

The grips themselves are quite hard to the touch so I slipped Grip-Puppies over them. That cured the problem (and the niggling vibration) - someone, Dennis I think, suggested using foam pipe-insulation as a cheaper but effective alternative.

I would not be without them even though I use them infrequently.

HTH
Back to top Go down

Heated grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heated grips   Heated grips I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 7:15 am

I have them ,they give me an extra month of riding .i would not want to be with out them . My hands still get cold even with them as I have circulation problems . I can't see you being sorry if you get them .
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Heated grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heated grips   Heated grips I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 11:29 am

Hammy wrote:
Re: the heated liners... All I can say is be careful. I had a pair of Gerbings glove liners before and a few motorcycle buddies who had the same experience as me -- the glove liners can actually burn the back of your hands. I ended up with grill marks after use,

As an aside, when I was flying for a living, one of my pilots had a problem with heated liners. Every time he pressed the transmit button on the cyclic he received a electric shock, so much, that on one sortie he burned a hole in middle finger on his right hand!!!!

Imagine if every time you braked you received the same treatment!!!! Rolling Eyes No
Back to top Go down

Heated grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heated grips   Heated grips I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 8:19 pm

Well looking at the dates on this topic, I maybe a bit late but while I was doing research on Heated Grips, I found the below link.

http://www.heatedgrips.org/heated-grips-selecting-the-best-ones-for-you/

I hope it helps.

Aorfarmer
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

Heated grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heated grips   Heated grips I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 11:47 pm

There are quite a few riders around here who have the Gerbings gear. So far none of them have had a problem. I have heard of a case where a controller failed and overheated a jacket liner but that's pretty easy to disconnect when needed. The reason I prefer the gloves to the heated grips is that I use them on two bikes, my 1800 and the SW. Much cheaper to switch back and forth with the gloves than install heated grips on both.
Back to top Go down
Darkeswinger
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Darkeswinger

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2010-06-11

Heated grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heated grips   Heated grips I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 21, 2011 12:54 pm

I installed the Oxford removable heated grips, and had my first test ride on Saturday (air temp 43 degrees). Worked so well that I had to turn them off after about 10 minutes. They stayed warm for another 15 minutes or so after that. I hooked them into a switched fuse, so they cannot be on when the ignition is off. Great investment!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Heated grips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heated grips   Heated grips I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Heated grips
Page 1 of 1